Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

ambiguity in the word "real"

I would propose a thought experiment. Suppose a listener has a recording of an Italian opera where the soprano is way down in the recorded mix. On first listening, the listener does not understand the lyrics.

Suppose this listener undertakes a study using the libretto in Italian, along with a translation. He listens multiple times and learns the lyrics and their meanings by heart. In the end, he clearly hears the soprano and he also feels an emotional impact from the way she emphasizes her vocals.

There has been a real change in the listener. His brain has physically changed to accomodate a new set of information. Most people nowadays consider memory to be a physical change in the brain.

There is also a different sort of reality to this. The listener now gets far more information from the recording of a musical event, and this is real information that existed in the original event.

This "tweak" has changed the listener and brought more real detail from the recording. This is not controversial. Similarly, one could propose that meditation or exercise prior to listening, or some method of concentration during listening, could have real benefits in getting more real information from a recording.

What May Belt is proposing, it seems to me, are sort of magic rituals to be performed prior to listening. I would also expect that some people will find benefit in these. And as she honestly states, "people vary," so some will find no benefit.

I do not think there will ever be agreement on the efficacy of ritual behavior. For some it will work and effects will be real.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.