Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: No…

This one intrigues me because it could account for part of the difference between CD and vinyl.

I run a CD only rig these days and have for over 10 years now, and I don't think CD sounds as bad as its worst detractors claim. I haven't had a chance to do an AB of the same music on CD and vinyl with a good rig and I rarely get a chance to listen to vinyl these days and I'm intrigued, especially since I had something like a minor stroke in 1983 and ended up with some minor sensory deficits which don't include any hearing issues, at least on normal hearing tests. CAT and MRI scans don't show anything but the sort of problems I have could occur with damage too small to show, and the view is that the damage is in the left thalamus which is one of the areas implicated for response to frequencies above 20 kHz in this study.

I wonder what a PET scan of my brain would show, but I don't know anyone who could do one and the cost for getting that done as a matter of interest rather than medical need (health insurance wouldn't cover it) is more than I'd want to spend for the sheer interest of finding out. On the other hand, if someone wants to run a study to try and replicate the results and they want to run it in Brisbane in Australia, and they're looking for subjects, I am available.

David Aiken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.