Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I Think It's Corrupt Beyond Recognition.....

"Where's the deceit really coming from??"

Two channel audio is an old technology that long ago surpassed the practical potential of the stereo format. That IMO is the big deceit. As far as I can tell it's been quite some time since a technolgical advance made a real difference and I'd say that last relevant technical advance was the introduction of the CD which has led to better sound at much lower price points. Really with the exception of digital 2 channel audio has been out of the R&D mode for decades.

What really bothers me about two channel audiophiles is they continue to believe that technological advances (including upgrades and improvements) somehow are going to reveal or unleash greater stereo performance. BS - the stereo format itself is the weak link in the chain. Beyond extreme loudness loudness and extended bass performance (impossible for most audiophiles) the only reasons to spend more money on hifi equipment are subjective individual sonic expectations.

As someone who believes decent midfi equipment is capable of providing objective performance more than adequete for the reproduction of most music I think high end audio resources should minimize the importance of objective performance and specialize on particular subjective perspectives. Objectivism seems to me a realistic proposition for mid fi fans while hi end audio should be a playground for the subjectivist. And generally speaking this is the way the industry appears to me - however I think many audiophiles will see it differently.

So to me it's a matter of expectations. Stereo is an old and limited format - we shouldn't expect much other than subjective takes. Thinking a jar of rocks is going to make it sound better isn't IMO a whole lot different than thinking objective performance improvements are going to make it sound better.

Give me rhythm or give me death!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.