Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Unsoundmind, My Response

I don't know why Soundmind is continuing to bring this up. It so happens that a quickly rolled off frequency response has a different risetime than a slowly rolled off frequency response and a very different square wave response. An extended frequency response removes, or at least minimizes the potential problem of pre-shoot, ringing, and very slow risetime. When people test their high frequency hearing response, they usually listen to a single tone, rather than complex waveform. There seems to be a fairly predictable falloff in hearing single tone response, especially with age. However, a single tone is usually not be what we normally listen to when listening to music, so the transient response might well be more important than what would appear to be necessary just to listen to single tones. In this case, the low pass filters: 4 pole in the case of a Shure phono cartridge, 9 or more poles, in the case of a CD player based around 20KHz will strongly effect the transient response of a complex waveform. This is why analog oscilloscopes with a given rated bandwidth do not have steep rolloffs after the bandwidth rating. That is why my TEK 485, 350 MHz analog oscilloscope can actually show a 1ns risetime, 1 MHz square wave with little or no ringing,overshoot, or any other noticable change. Scale this sort of design approach down and you get 1us, 350KHz for a power amp perhaps and perhaps 10us, 35KHz for an overall hi fi design. Is this asking so much from your hi fi system?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.