Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What happens to back EMF with a feedback amplifier?

Maybe so. Depends on the choke, depends on the amp. KLH deliberately limited effective amplifier damping factor across the woofer voice coil to 8 this way. The heavier the gage of the wire and fewer turns, the lower the DCR. (Not all coils have to be air core.) I haven't done the math. What's the DCR of the secondary winding of a typical impedence matching output transformer in a tube amplifier? Well I'd guess the DCR of an air core series choke can certainly swamp the DCR of most speaker wires. (BTW, with a dedicated subwoofer amp and an equalizer, why have a series choke at all?) Personally, I've never had a problem using 16 gage zip cord. I'm always far more concerned with the mechanical damping of a woofer than its electrical damping but then I haven't used a tube amplifier in 38 years. I thought I saw something new when I realized around 17 years ago that woofer/enclosure designs could be analyzed mechanically by using Newton's second law of motion until I reviewed the article in SAM's audio engineering handbook and saw that the big guns were way ahead of me. AR always designed for critical mechanical damping at 0.7, the optimal design IMO. Electrical corrections can be applied during installation using equalization which usually works very well for acoustic suspension designs if they are critically damped...and even if they aren't.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What happens to back EMF with a feedback amplifier? - Soundmind 08:20:36 08/20/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.