Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: If you want to understand what negative feedback is really about....read a text, solve the equations

You still didn't answer my question, Soundmind. I asked you what you think the audible consequences of the feedback no longer working properly above a certain frequency, which is distribingly low in many cases. Tom Danley gives a good answer above, I suggest you read it. Just because the open loop bandwidth of the typical transistor amp is low doesn't mean they are all poor open loop. Many non-feedback amps have open loop bandwidths well beyond the limit of hearing. They are also quite stable when run in class A and reach thermal equilibrium (run it hot and you have stability in the power supply and in the circuits.). Many modern tube amps self-bias and compensate for changing tube parameters up to a fairly wide range.

Finally, as the article Dan posted shows a high damping factor is not necessary to have a relatively flat frequency response so this benefit is dubious at best.

I think you should look at the practice more than the theory, they are not usually quite the same you know.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: If you want to understand what negative feedback is really about....read a text, solve the equations - morricab 14:07:00 08/17/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.