Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Perhaps a better way of visualising it?

"So the design of the output stage has to accomodate this, and there may well be an abberation in the feedback mechanism until the loop regains control. This may be during the driver stage slewing from sourcing to sinking levels within the amplifer"

I guess this is my concern. If the amp loses control for a few microseconds or longer then the transients that are being amplified after the cause of such loss of control will be affected. Now if music is mostly made of transients, many large, then these "abberations" could be the norm rather than the exception, could they not? In effect the feedback is always playing catchup to something that has come and gone but can wreak havoc on following signals.

"Add the complex impedance and _phase response_ of a crossover explains why there is a lot of subtlety in amp and speaker design"

Basically all multi-driver high order crossover designs. Full-range electrostats are also highly reactive. The only speaker I have seen that is mostly like a pure resistor is an Apogee. In fact the drive elements themselves are nearly purely resistive. The low order crossover introduces some reactive elements but the resulting phase shifts are mild in comparison.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Perhaps a better way of visualising it? - morricab 09:56:06 08/17/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.