Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What engineering is and isn't

It is very easy to fool yourself and come to the wrong conclusion about why something seems to work well or poorly. This is why we have this rigorous science. It's not to put down anyone who wants to be innovative or to invent something that is better, even much better. But when you want other people at your level to respect what you have to offer, they need to be convinced that you know why or if you are guessing, even if it's an educated guess, you are not precluding the possibility that there isn't something we're missing.

Engineers and scientists make mistakes just like everyone else. That's why we need other people to check what we do to be certain we haven't overlooked something. The more critical the project, the more important the second opinion. In the nuclear power industry, it's called "independent design review" and the engineers who check out a project in this function have no connection with the project itself. If you're in my boat, you never know if you haven't made some horrible mistake until they throw the switch. When the smoke clears, suddenly everyone's an expert. (thank god that hasn't happened to me...yet.) If I don't take home audio equipment too terribly seriously, maybe it's because the consequences of being wrong don't seem that catastrophic to me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.