Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Thanks, Troy!

They are not assumptions but rather facts based on the physics of sound. Just because it was "done" does not mean it was done right, or "successfully", as you said in an earlier post. I hope you are not suggesting that just because no one complained that it was too loud or that they couldn't hear to you that this alone means that it was "reinforced successfully". The truth is that many people would not have complained about a significant difference in spl between the front and rear seating areas years ago because it was the norm which there was nothing to compare it to. It was the accepted standard at that time; not now. By the way two Altec 604s would not provide equal sound pressure measurements above 96db at even one frequency across the entire breath of the span of a 3000 or 5000 seat room. What you don't seem to get is that no single driver ever made to date could accomplish that. The physics of sound were the same back and have not changed. Again as you move away from any speaker (other than a line array), the spl will (I repeat "will") drop 6dB ever time the distance is doubled. If there is a significant drop in spl at the rear of a room then it was not "reinforced successfully". Or maybe I should say not by todays standards. I have designed and built speaker systems for many large rooms, and I have achieved uniform spl from front to back in every one, while maintaining high fidelity and intelligibilty for both speech and music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thanks, Troy! - troy@questaudiosystems.com 13:25:09 01/14/07 (1)
    • More - troy@questaudiosystems.com 13:34:19 01/14/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.