Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Thanks, Troy!

Thanks for your post! Troy. I've seen 2500 seat churches reinforced successfully with one, (1) uno, plane wave EV horn loaded three way speaker system. I've seen 5000 seat auditoriums successfully reinforced with a pair of Altec 604 coaxial speakers in Altec baffles. Maybe I should have been more cogent with I said "speaker" and should have said "speaker system". I'm in the high efficiency, horn loaded, speaker system camp and also in the Class A output stage camp. I feel that a speaker with less than 96db/1watt/1meter rating is suitable for casual living and bath and bed rooms for muzak and tv set maybe but not for professional sound reinforcement.

But on a more complete level I feel that the average professional sound reinforcement installation that I have witnessed, most have been jobs that have been sold by the likes of a P.T. Barnum than any capable acoustic or audio engineer. I believe that most people selling audio equipment are there to make a profit foremost. There is nothing wrong with making a profit but it has become our cause celebre over whether or not the installation sounds good.

The best audio I have ever head were installations that were crafted by Westrex (Western Electric) or RCA acoustic engineers in conjunction with Fox and Metro motion picture theaters through the 60's. There after audio quality in so called professional installations took a nose dive. Theater owners then put up whatever cheap speaker and amp some P.T.Barnum sold them. I feel that the contributions of people like Alexis Badmeiff, Paul Klipsch, Rudy Bozak, John Volkman, Pop Harry Olson are as timeless as the Pythagorean theorum. In short they wrote the book of high fidelity and sound reinforcement. And it was written early like in 1939. The old school is the best school! Very little is new! Cordially, Ray
"I take you as you are
And make of you what I will,
Skunk-bear, carcajou, bloodthirsty
Non-survivor.
Lord, let me die but not die out." THE LAST WOLVERINE by James Dickey

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.