Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Signal routing..

The first type of patch system was introduced of course by Ma Bell and consisted of two 1/4" phone plug/jack (dual prong=two grounds and two hots) bonded together for balanced lines. But you could only get about 12 spaces in a 19" rack span on one line. Then this was replaced by the stereo or three tiered 1/4" phone plug/jack. This allowed 24 spaces or two lines totalling 48. Then then squeezed dimensions and offerred 52 or two rows of 26. Then this was replaced by the "bantam" or "tiny telephone" 3 tiered jack/plug which offers 96. There are a host of different jack/plug combinations (different wiring contacts) that offer several different switching schemes. The original scheme was called "normal through" in which the jack was wired to interrupt the singal path when a jack was inserted and restored when the jack was removed. Normally patch fields were not employed unless the signal was up in level say at least 0 dbv. Other wise you have to route all low level lines in one bundle and all higher level lines in another bundle. It can get messy. The upper was the output and the lower was in the input. But systems vary. You need to get you a Switchcraft or an ADC catalog of patch panels and look at the different wiring schemes that fit your particular application. Ray Hughes
"I take you as you are
And make of you what I will,
Skunk-bear, carcajou, bloodthirsty
Non-survivor.
Lord, let me die but not die out." THE LAST WOLVERINE by James Dickey

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Signal routing.. - grhughes 13:19:56 12/01/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.