Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

A Blumlein pair....

Alan Blumlein was a British engineer that invented stereo. The piano and the harpsichord are the most difficult instruments to record because sound eminates from many points all around their periphery. The room that these instruments are in also contributes to their overall sound. And whether or not the piano case is open or closed or somewhere in between. I would look at a Blumlein pair of Figure 8 pattern or bi-directional ribbon. Two mics (left and right channels) are splayed at 90 degrees to each other or one over the other and suspended on a boom. (you have to suspend ribbon mics as they are sensitive to seismic vibrations through the floor). There is a company that sells a Chinese made ribbon mic called Apex. They sell on ebay. I don't have any experience with the mic but have heard some good reports. I do have experience using RCA 44Bx and BK11A bi-directional mics. Also Lewis Layton used this technique to recod many of the famous RCA red seal classical recordings. Good luck! Ray
"I take you as you are
And make of you what I will,
Skunk-bear, carcajou, bloodthirsty
Non-survivor.
Lord, let me die but not die out." THE LAST WOLVERINE by James Dickey

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A Blumlein pair.... - grhughes 14:05:44 11/15/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.