Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

DSLA 1-100 Line Array Horn

Whomever Wants A Crack At It: I've run into a snag trying to design a line array enclosure around this 10" square DDS horn, namely that the recommended cutoff of 1600Hz is too high for correct coupling of 10" cones in adjacently arrayed traps. My math suggests a 1kHz crossover for minimum "correct" coupling, taking cabinet height & array angle into account. Yes I know, other manufacturers simply shlap a pair of 10's or 12's next to this horn and call it good, claiming that any vertical comb filtering is essentially inaudible (or they're crossing the horn too low). Unless I'm way off the mark, it seems to me that enough combing in either direction will become noticeable at some point. Also, I wish to avoid the hassle and expense of pairing smaller drivers next to the 10's and adding another crossover point. So, here's the question: Is there some known way to install a deflective or phasing device across the width of a flush-mounted cone driver to make it act like two smaller drivers, where coupling is concerned? I'll appreciate any input, even intuitive guessing! Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - DSLA 1-100 Line Array Horn - Cuppa Joe 13:13:40 08/07/05 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.