Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

QSC PLX is rock solid. I upgraded from a large Adcom...

I would stay away from the models above 1602, however the 1602 provides transparency well above the Adcom, Bryston, etc. if you plan on using demanding low impedance speakers with passive x-overs. Compared to an Adcom, Qsc would be a better choice on ANY SPEAKER regardless of which Adcom your considering. In domestic applications can take 1-ohm loading where a Bryston, C.J., Krell would be smoking, and still sound quite good (no audible gross distortion or lack of dynamics at any levels youd ever use it to in a domestic app). The Adcom sounded quite terrible at 1 ohm even at ultra low volumes (wierd midrange ugliness especially on bass hits) and overheated at 2 driven harder though it sounded harsh like any Adcom.... Bryston wouldnt do much better below 4 ohms, though obviously sounds better on those easier 4 or 8-ohm speakers. Be warned the fans are noisy if driving 1 and 2 ohm reactive loads at high levels with the PLX and could trip cutback at 1....though this would take about 10-15 minutes of clipping every bass hit on compressed rock nonstop (thats about a kW per channel and even Infinity Kappa 9s would probably meltdown at this level).

Qsc PLX defeats the purpose of tubes (avoiding ss uglies) as you'll probably never get it to run out of steam or clip. I can get 115-120dbs spls across the bandwidth with 2 ohm nominal loading before those red lights (1%THD) start barely flickering. Regardless, high THD in even harmonics in tubes is still THD and still ALTERS the ORIGINAL signal. And YES it is audible as making an unoriginal "warmness" sound not realistic to the recording. SS is lightyears ahead of tubes if its done right AND can handle REAL reactive loads, even 2 ohm reactive ones with NO THD a human ear could discern! Its those terrible "recievers", "car amps", and circuit city junk that give ss a bad name bc they do all sound like the garbage they are even into the smallest, easiest 8 ohm mini-moniters. Sadly they are 99% of every SS amp in existance

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • QSC PLX is rock solid. I upgraded from a large Adcom... - tpower9s 20:52:09 06/18/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.