Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: 18 inch woofer

No 18 is a good woofer! Do you realize how heavy those things are?

Honestly, I tried out a few 18s (the Bag End one was nice, I believe they get them from Eminence) and have to say they really push air and handle the low end well... but by combining 4 10s allows you a lot more flexibility. They push as much or more air (1 18 has 255 sq.in. while 4 10s have 314 sq.in... actual funtion may be different), use up a smaller cabinet (lighter and easier to move most often), handle highs and mids across the board better, and you don't have to worry about it blowing out as easily (a 4x10 will usually have higher wattage and functional RMS rating than an 18).

The only real advantages to the 18 are that they really do handle the low, low, low frequencies better (felt but not heard bass)... and they let you have bragging rights. Still, a well tuned and ported 4 10 will destroy an 18 night after night.

That said, your link isn't coming up, so I'm not sure which model you're thinking about. Most likely it isn't properly tuned for your cabinet (this makes all the difference in the world) and probably won't work as well as it could.

You probably better off buying a used 4x10 on eBay (I got a killer Genz Benz with a horn for around $300 shipped...) or modifying your existing box, replacing the baffle, and convering it into a 4x10 after checking the internal volume.

Also, I have a Bag End deep 15 (the larger of their two S15 models) that puts out as much bass as their 18 did. The cabinet makes a HUGE difference in apparent bass. Also, try putting a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the processing chain... you won't need an 18 anymore... amazing how their process makes the existing bass that much more present.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 18 inch woofer - Some Guy 06:23:03 06/07/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.