Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Let's start at the input!

I will always agree that class A is the most pure design. I really like the way you look at everything that determines what happens in the signal path. Thanks for the info. on neg. feedback... I've heard a lot of mixed reactions on that topic. I know tube lovers have to their advantage the way tubes tend not to amplify odd order harmonic distortion... making higher THD levels in those amps acceptable. But like you said, until new class A designs take hold, we'll have to bias large class A designs and cool them with ventilation systems designed to chill a walk-in freezer. Plus, don't forget and leave the amp turned on when you're not listening to it or you're electricity bill just doubled :) Hmm, class A topologies, including power supply loss approaching 50% efficiency? That's great! It's been a long time since I've studied some simple transformer coupled output designs. I remember reading some bad effects of doing that, and of course, some good effects. I cannot remember what those bad effects are. But, I wouldn't trust my expensive speakers to my own designs. That's why I like buying what I can afford from reputable vendors, so if their amp fries my speakers, then they have to pony up the cash to replace them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Let's start at the input! - Kevin 01:42:17 05/08/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.