Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

AUDIO is the abused stepchild in Electronics

Audio equipment has, among electronic engineers, a lowly position in the scientific scheme of things. These empiricalists like to design "instruments" that have scientific application. And most of them think that audio equipment has such limited bandwidth that most any circuit should suffice. They are about as far from experiencing the joy that a serious audiophile experiences as one can get. They can't see the forest for the trees and consider the current audio happening as wags of the idiot fringe. The audiophile, it could be argued, can't see the trees for the forest. Engineers fail to grasp that audiophiles are deserved of and are entitled to components as high in quality as their so called "instruments". It would be wonderful if we could work together but mankind loves to segregate into camps and throw barbs at one another. But back to your question about distortion. It is my opinion that there are simply too many distortion mechanisms out there working against an audio signal to take all into account. I believe we've been looking at an audio signal only in two dimensions. It's like looking at a cliff on the surface of the earth from directly overhead in an airplane. We can't see the protrubances, the conglomerates, the chasms, and every nuance of the cliff until we see it in three dimensions and up close. With computer proliferation we are just now getting into 3D waterfall displays that I feel are going to re-write the way we measure distortion. The best! James

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • AUDIO is the abused stepchild in Electronics - j.l.guillebeau@att.net 17:38:53 04/25/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.