Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

2-Tk + centre track time code

On 2-tk + TC machines, the centre channel means that the guard bands eat into channels 1&2 ever so slightly. This probably results in a no more than 1dB worsening of the signal-to-noise ratio and is a very acceptable tradeoff. However, timecode tapes played back on non-timecode headblocks have little or no guard band to speak of, and the crosstalk is worsened. -However, 2-track + timecode tapes with no timecode recorded, when played back on non-timecode machines, will also result in an acceptabe, dB-or-so reduction in S/N.

Machines of the type that I've used & worked with extensively? -Studer A810, Studer A820 and Otari Mx-55's.

Machines I'd recommend? -Studer without question. -The A810 is very capable (probably better than all its competitors) and the A820 is simply unapproachable. -The A820 which we had back in the UK needed to be driven with TTL-level (5V) timecode signal, and this did indeed catch a number of engioneers out! however, I don't think that they were all like that, and it's a 1-chip, $5 solution if you ever do encounter the problem! ( I recall that there might have been a TTL TC input option, but most machines might well not have had it.)

The A810 also was wonderful but didn't take spools larger than 10.5 inches, and had no 1/2" headstack option. -Both machines use (this is from memory, now!!!) absolutely separate timecode record and playback heads, with a shared 3-track erase head. -This absolutely and totally eliminates in-head crosstalk, and gives the machines a colossal advantage. -I used the Otari a few times, but never took an interest in it because the crosstalk at low levels simply couldn't compete. Here at work, we have two of them in retirement and can honestly say that I wouldn't reommend that anyone buy them!

-Interestingly, Studer get around the difference in timing between the different head positions by using a "delay & read-forward" system that is corrected for the different tape speeds, and even in varispeed!!! -It's mind-numbingly complicated, but it also means that the output timecode is not simply played out, but actually re-generated clocked against a PLL fed by the original timecode. -Any small dropouts are thereby handled quite effortlessly, and level fluctuation simply is not an issue. -The output signal is rock steady until the original becomes unreadable.

If you can afford one, get the A820. -If 1/4-inch only and 10.5-inch spool size are not limitations, the (less expensive) A810 will give wonderful service. Otherwise, you're looking at Otaris and the like. -There's a fairly big gap between the number ine manufacturer and all the rest!

... I know where there are a number of timecode upgrade kits for the A810s, but without headstacks! -not much use without the head stacks!- but I looked into converting them into LTC reader/displays... never had enough time, though!

Keith A.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • 2-Tk + centre track time code - SSL Tech 17:53:50 04/23/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.