Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

newer r-r recorders w/time code - problem?

All of my experience has been with old Ampex recorders, but I am considering purchasing another 2 track while prices are at their current levels. (I really don't think that they can go any lower, and if other "vintage" gear is any indication, they could get much higher very quickly.) While the deals are available, I'm thinking about getting a more modern machine, like an Otari MTR12 or Studer A80. But many of the bargains are for machines that include a time code track. I'm not involved in film or video production and don't think that I would ever have any use for time code. But I'm wondering if there are any negative attributes related to the time code feature? Are 2 track recordings made on at time code equipped deck any different than typical 2 track recordings? Is there any problem when playing back on a machine without the time code feature? Or is the time code track somehow produced without affecting the standard audio tracks?

Thanks.

Steve
lex125@pacbell.net

digital? I'm still not sure about transistors....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - newer r-r recorders w/time code - problem? - hollywood_steve 00:07:20 04/20/02 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.