Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Tannoy DMT II Clones?

Dear Inmates,

I have been lucky enough to come across two pairs of modern 15” Dual Concentric drivers for a reasonable price. The first pair I gave to a friend who has had a pair of replica GRF rectangular cabinets made for them. They’re not quite finished yet, but look like they will be beautiful when done.

I have been toying around with different ideas of what to do with the second pair. Whatever, however, I do, I don’t want to spend too much money. On the Tannoy Website, I saw the System 15 DMT IIs,

http://www.tannoy.com/frame.cfm?ID=3&D=2

They look as if they contain the same drivers as I have. According to the website, these speakers are supposed to be 101 db efficient. I find this rather hard to believe as the GRF rectangulars (with the older Alnico drivers) were only about 95 db efficient and were hornloaded, unlike these which basically look like reflex boxes.

Now I am basically unfamiliar with Pro Monitors and wonder how suitable a pair of replicas of these speakers would be for home use (theatre and stereo) and whether it could be practical to simply clone the cabinet design, which, when all is said and done, does not look that complicated. I would also be interested to know if they could be that efficient insofar as I would love to tinker around SETs and the like.

Yours, Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Tannoy DMT II Clones? - Cafe Jeff 11:13:36 04/15/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.