Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Omnis are great for perfect acoustics

Thanks for your comments, Mike. I have on occasion had omnis work for me but looking back that was when the acoustics in the room were almost perfectly flat. Using omnis, I always picked up too much of the room and not enough of the performance. Chair skreeches, throat clearing, feet shuffling, paper turnings, the ventilator shaft all are there with an omni. If you back off the mics then the performers sound like they are in the next county. No, I'll stick to my cardiods, and my figure eights. I won't buy certain CDs from certain companies because I know they are recorded with omni mics. I like a nice mix of room tone but mostly I'm interested in the performance.

I have two RCA BK11A bi-direc ribbons and two BK-5B cardiod ribbons. The bi are used on the double basses and the BK=5s on the brass. I also use the AKG C461 condensors for strings. Jerry Bruck of Posthorn Recording has experimented extensively with arrays calling it tetrahedral ambiphony. The best! James

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Omnis are great for perfect acoustics - j.l.guillebeau@att.net 12:05:49 04/13/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.