Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Results of a very quick test...

So here's how I have the Neutrik A2 set up:

Generator impedance = 200 ohms, (No 150 ohm setting unfortunately)
Generator frequency = 40kHz (as high as it goes for this set!)
Measurement input impedance = 600 ohms

A quick try of a handful of standard values available to me right this minute gives a 2.4dB drop a 40kHz when I strap 27nF across the line. 27nF = 27,000pf which at 150pF per metre, is equivalent to 180 metres.

-At 150 ohms source impedance, the drop off would be lower still, so it definately seems to disagree with getting a -3dB point at 16,xxxHz with only 100 metres of cable...

As for personal use, there are a number of factors governing this kind of stuff. I have always used starquad-type cable for individual mic runs in noisy environments, -Bundling cables produces a de facto improvement in shielding, but sometimes it all gets a bit to big, so a good multipair snake is a better choice as soon as outside dimension becomes a limiting factor.

On the subject of digital cable, -I have a few hundred metres of it (Clark Wire & Cable part # 801 and Gotham GAC-2) here and I've been forced to use it in a pinch for analog connections... -it's about as microphonic as anything I've ever tried. -Now I realise that other people might make a decent 110-ohm digital cable which is softer than this stuff, and may well be a little less ill-suited, but trust me... you wouldn't want to use this for analog connections -ANYWHERE!!!
-If anyone has any other types of 110-ohm cable, I'd be interested to know if they can hear anything when they flick the cable with their fingernail...

Technically yours,
Keith

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.