Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Best/Cheap tube mic

I agree with Roland (even if I don't know one one-thousandth of what he does). You won't be getting a good tube mic for that price. There are some decent condenser mics in that price range though...they'll certainly be a huge improvement over the mics you have. We own an Oktava MK219, a Rode NT-1, an ADK, and two Oktava MK012 capsule condensers. They're all SS and sound pretty good for what they cost (all were $150-$200 each), but they all have their own sound (and that means their own advantages and disadvantages, so try them before buying if you can). All were a very nice improvement over the Sure SM57 and SM58s...especially on vocals and acoustic instruments. I prefer the Oktava and ADK to the Rode for vocals, but that's just me. I'd love to get some nice mics one day, but there's probably no point until we get some better preamps. The above mics are more than fine for the preamps that are built into our digital Spirit board. If you're dying for something with a tube, there are many cheap tube preamps. We have a Prosonic Blue Tube. It cost about $150. It's not the quietest preamp in the world, but it's not bad (it's comparable to the rest of our equipment). You can use any mic with it, so it offers more flexibility than a single tube mic. It's also handy for going direct on occasion. That and one of the above mics should still be in the $300 range.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Best/Cheap tube mic - Phild 15:09:38 04/01/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.