Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Johnny Wonder with a MIXER fetish!

And how many of the records that you are talking about were genuine stereo? Single mono mic's on instruments was the norm, with the exception of Classical records. As for the 35mm film recorders as used for the "living prescence" recordings, listen to those now. They are all available on CD. Good as they are, especially considering their age, they don't come close to the best modern classical recordings. If I was to submit tapes of that standard to my clients I wouldn't work! The Ampex 300's were good machines of their time, but again dreadful in comparison with more modern analogue machines, and digital recorders. You mention 3 engineers over something like a 20 year period. I could recommend easily 20 great modern engineers. The classical record market is probably the best on which to judge advances in recording technology as it is (on the whole) fairly purist in approach. Listen to Decca's recording of the Planets with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra. Decca used similar equipement in the 60's with the exception of those recordings were made to analogue recorders, and there has been an appreciable improvement in sound quality over the years. Another common misconception is that of how much valve equipment was being used in those days. In an interview with one of the major trade journals the chief engineer for the Motown label said far from that lovely warm sound being aquired using valves, most of the kit that they were using in those days was transistor, and the valve kit was mainly used to "prop open the door".

I partialy blame the hi-fi magazines, they have a lot to answer for when it comes to the garbage that they print. The pre-requisite for being a hi-fi journalist is the ability to write, knowledge of audio is the secondary requirement. It never ceases to amaze me how much I read proporting to be fact that is missleading at least, and more often downright inaccurate. I would respectfully suggest that your opinion is also coloured by your taste in music. However good a recording is or isn't if you don't like the material, you probably are not listening to those recordings. I would be most interested to know what gear you are using to listen to your music, perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know.

Regards

Roland

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Johnny Wonder with a MIXER fetish! - Roland 12:35:41 03/30/02 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.