Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: LESS IS MORE!

I don't understand the point you are making?

Noise reduction, extends dynamic range. A modern day Studer machine, is a much quieter machine than its 60's counterparts, even without dolby. Tape formulations of the last 20 years were significantly better than those used in the 60's & 70's. If you want to hear a recording with true dynamics, (or as close to the original as possible) you need to listen to a modern classical recording on CD. Even classical records in the 50's through the 60's were routinely compressed on route to the tape machine. Read the post above from SSL as to how much improved the response of a studer was with the addition of Dolby SR. It is true that amongs "pop" records there is a tendency (particulary in mastering) to get the average level on a CD as "hot" as possible, but that is not always the case. For great sounding older records I would site some of the Verve jazz recordings of the 50's, but these were phenomenal artists, that would have sounded good recorded on practically anything, and the microphones used on those sessions are still being used on sessions today. As for modern recording technology, the new generation of digital recorders such as Otari Radar, have converted even the flat earth society amongst recording professionals. I personally record on fairly minamalistic kit, whenever the opportunity arrives. I do use very high quality modern mics, from Neuman, Sennheiser, B&K, Schoeps, and alike. As good as some of the vintage kit is, I would have great difficulty even getting close to the sound quality I can achieve with modern kit.

Regards

Roland

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: LESS IS MORE! - Roland 14:07:55 03/29/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.