Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

LESS IS MORE!

Roland, I've become a minamalist. I listen to all types of music from country to jazz and grand opera and classical. I also believe that there is no such thing as a "free lunch". Whatever you get you have to pay for it or swap something for it. Ray Dolby did one of the worst injustices to audio imaginable with his introduction of the noise reduction system. We once lived with tape hiss. We also had greater dynamics. You can't have both. When the noise is reduced the some of the dynamics goes with it. Now all these young turks would foam at the mouth and digress into delerium at the sound of a little tape hiss. Lets Dolbyize it! Let's californicate it! With less processing the dynamics of the music returns. I can live any day with a little tape hiss if I have the ultra-highs. The ultra-highs that are ERASED by a G-D noise reduction system. Have you ever listened to a Studer 24 track without the Dolby or AIC or the DBX. It's so noisy its unlistenable. So the medium progressed to the point that processing is unavoidable and its sad. These re-issues of LP in the sixties are so attenuated conpared to the original pressing becuase some young turk Johnny wonder engineer gets carries away with the processing. And don't retort that LESS IS A BORE! James

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.