Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Are the sonic benefits of clock-syncing signficant?

I respectfully disagree with some of what youve said. Clock sync was originally added for the purpose of keeping a whole system on one clock (necessary for video, and some audio such as multiple ADC uses) however since clocks have become much better in recent years, outboard clocks can improve the AD and DACs of lots of gear. You are right that performance is degraded over that same clock built into a piece of gear since it is going over wire but since that clock isnt imbedded in a digital stream it isnt so bad and since lots of clocks are terrible, outboard clocks can make a positive improvement. Heck, George Massenberg uses a genex with his dB technologies AD and DAC's which are fabled to have amazing clocks.

My findings on this are backed up by noting that my RME converters (which have pretty good clocks) dont benefit much (but some) from the ultra low jitter genex clock but my digidesign 888 boxes do benefit a lot.
Frost

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.