Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

question about mixing boards

i have finally decided to move out of the world of four tracks and into the world of eight tracks. i am planning on buying a tascam 38 1/2 in reel to reel. the only thing is i am clueless about what board to get. old or new, anything will do. i don't have a huge budget (the cheaper, the better), but any suggestion would help.

i will mostly be recording myself, so i don't think i'll ever need to record more than four mics (or whatever) at once. i already have a few mic pres and i was thinking about investing in some nicer ones, so the board doesn't have to have really nice pres (but i would spend more if the board did have nice pres).

one thing i don't know is: what are busses? if i'm going to be recording onto a maximum of four tracks at once with an eight track recorder, how many inputs and busses do i need? someone please help me - keep it in terms a four tracker would understand. i know my four track has a little switch with "buss" on it (and i use it all the time), but i have no idea what it really does.

hopefully someone can clear this up, and i would also love to know some specific models of boards.

i hope i'm making sence, and thanks a lot for any help.
again, any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - question about mixing boards - movingupfromfour 16:47:46 03/20/02 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.