Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: how about 24/88.2 instead?

One particular outboard ADC I've looked at is much happier outputting something in multiples of 44.1 rather than 48, so for example it could send a 24/88.2 stream to the Masterlink.

I understand that the Masterlink can handle this with no problem, and I do believe that it would be (sonically) much better to then convert this signal to redbook than it would be to kluge an non-integer multiple like 96k [down to 44.1].

Now, what I would *really* like to know is........ if you burn a 24/88.2 CD-R on the Masterlink, is this disc still "readable by almost any CD-ROM" drive, as the 24/96 file is? If so, that would be awesome. I would really like to see if it could all stay in 44.1 multiples and not go to 96. Do you know the answer to that? I just d/l the Masterlink manual (44 pages) and I'm going to take that to bed to read....zzzzzz....... so maybe I'll find the answer tonight. If you know, please tell me though! Thanks for the info you gave already.

Mike

p.s. the ADC I was talking about is a Meitner, and it can do DSD encoding and then spit 24 bit PCM out the back, but I think Ed said it needed to be in a 44.1/88.2/176.4 multiple as the DSD front-end works as 64f (or 128f, I'm still not quite clear on that).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.