Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Technical question for the Pros using yesterdays gear with todays (long)

Hi Roland,
Thank you for your reply as well. I've enjoyed and learn a lot from your numerous posts, and respect your opinion. I did not invest a lot into the 700 processors and don't mind adding them to a collection of audio relics, if that be their fate. Many fine albums were mastered using them. I have yet to hook them up to a VCR/VTR and experiment/play with them, but will soon and enjoy seeing just what the little beasty can do.

Your right in that I should give digital another listen to and try to leave my bias' at the door. The 'harshness' of CD's mentioned in the earlier post was while listening to some jazz with horns, it may have been cheap mics, and/or bad levels at the mix, or just a poor pressing, however after listening to about 6 CD's at the local Hi-Fi shop, I still didn't like what was coming out of the speakers.

I have yet to hear a digital source reproduce proper phase relations in the room, (many recordings sound inside out), stage imaging has allways been a criticism of mine as well, the sound stage sounds like a almost 'flat' two dimensional affair, pinpointing individual instruments has improved over the years but not like listening to some old, yet clean analog vinyl. Solos can sound very clean to the point of sounding sterile, lacking the harmonic rich 'roundness' of pure sine waves, the 'live presents in the room' is still a few steps behind a good analog recording IMHO, but without the 'noise' that's always present with the analog. (I hear the guys with the straight jackets coming down the hall, better stop here on these points)...:-)

Ok, so I've been researching what's available without breaking the bank, can any of you give a opinion on Alesis' MasterLink using up to 24bit, 96Khz vs. Euphonix Model Two HDCD processor using up to 24 bit and 192Khz? (I hate format wars!!!) Any other systems/formats that I've missed? As I mentioned in the first post the DSD system sounds great, but way too expensive for me, a rack of SADiE outboards would be great for christmas, but then I'll be eating rice & beans for the next three years too..;) I can probably arrange a loan of a Alesis ML from the guys downtown to try out, but the Euphonix may require a license...don't know yet. Opinions please!

Lastly, (still beating the dead horse) there is a 25 pin "D" type expansion jack accessory connector on the back of the DBX 700 encoder/decoder, all the manual says is that, 'this is were the digital 'inputs' and 'outputs' are available for equipment such as the dbx 700D Disc-Mastering Delay', no further information is given except that any wrong connection will damage the unit. I 'suspect' that this may be were one could access the encoder/decoder processor BEFORE it's converted to the NTSC video signal, but this is only a quess at this point, carefull tests may follow. If any of you high powered brain types (Keith..;-) have any thoughts on how one might utilize this port directly to disc recording please let me know!

Ok, the very last, I promise, restating the original question another way, excluding DVD-RW or DVD+RW / MPEG type encoding due to previous explanations, is there not some type of CD-burner that would record bit for bit data without errors that could replace the VCR/VTR???....(now I hear the Doctor coming down the hall with the syringe...I'll be back later to see what you guys have to say when I wake up...;-)

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.