Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Technical question for the Pros using yesterdays gear with todays (long)

Hi inmates, yes i'm probably crazy. Ok i've got four DBX 700 digital audio processors, remember these? They were used in mid 80's. The manual states they convert analog audio into digital bits and then codes the bits into the standard video NTSC (National Televison System Committee)format, at a sampling rate of 644Khz and 644Kb/sec. The Anti-aliasing filters are -3db@37Khz. Instead of using the intended VCR/VTR U-matic (limited life tape media) machine, what kind of results could I expect using a DVD+RW to record the video signal? Am I correct in that the DBX digital signal would be converted into Mpeg 2 video code to disc? And of course the signal would need to flow/read from disc back to the 700 for D/A for listening. The audio tracks (PCM type processing) of the DVD+RW would not be used, unless I want them for A/B comparisons or something else. I understand that the recorded signal will not be compatible with other systems, (unless they also have a 700 processor), but do you guys have any thoughts on this? Good and Bad. Why am I looking to do this you may ask? I've never like CD's, have a room full of gear and still don't own a player, and oh yes my local dealer has loaned me units costing up to 3.5K, I don't like what I hear, they are very fatiguing and harsh to my ears. You've all heard the criticisms before so no need to cover it again here. The DSD system sounds great, but I don't have the 25k or more to get into that, and I don't see any indications that we will be offered a prosumer DSD recording system in the near future, nuff said there. If you guys don't see any reason why this idea might not work out ok, then I want to archive my analog vinyl collection and studio reel tapes of bands I recorded years ago to disc, (main tracks DBX/video) and maybe use the high res PCM audio tracks of the DVD+RW as well, as a back up or what ever. I recall the sound of the DBX 700 compander as being much better than red book cd,(no 20Khz brick wall), and the PCM systems still don't sound natural to me. (Plez don't be cruel). The ultimate goal is to have a library (juke box)with [no physical contact with media], there by no wear. so I would appreciate any thoughts you Pros can share, no straight jackets please....;) Thanks,

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Technical question for the Pros using yesterdays gear with todays (long) - Organbuff64' 23:01:10 03/11/02 (14)

You can not post to an archived thread.