Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

How do you mix 6 channels into 2, without a mixer? [Mapleshade does it]

here's a quote from an interview with Mapleshade's Pierre Sprey in TAS #127, p. 177:

[TAS]: "You make a big point of not using mixers, EQ, compression, or electronic enhancements of any sort. Have you ever tried to?"

[P.Sprey]: "Yes. Early on, I did a sede-by-side comparison with an extremely expensive custom mixer designed for classical music [recording]. It just wasn't as clear or dynamic as my own battery-powered mic-preamp, which mixes down from six channels to two channels in a single stage, though I almost never use all six."

What exactly do you think this mic-pre is doing, *mixing from six to 2 in a single stage*..? Do you think he is somehow just putting the SAME circuit that mixers use to combine channels inside his mic pre's? OR is he mixing in a different way?

Enquiring minds want to know. I suppose I could email him, but he might say it's proprietary or something. At least I thought I would post here first and see what you guys thought -

Thanks,

Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - How do you mix 6 channels into 2, without a mixer? [Mapleshade does it] - High-end Dreamer 07:30:29 03/10/02 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.