Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Building an Equipment Rack

Be careful - one reply said mounting rail separation/spacing is 19". That is the nominal panel width of the equipment to be mounted. The standard for rail spacing is 18 5/16" from mounting hole center to mounting hole center. As far as building your own rack - I would never do that - unless I wanted a deluxe real wood cabinet. There are several rack manufacturers - AMCO, Emcor/Crenlo, BUD, Equipto, Premier Metal, Hammond, Electrorack, etc. I design and build rack systems for industry, but I do not know who specifically makes a good rack for on-the-road use. There are very many different models to choose from those mfrs, but look for this in any rack: must have front and rear mounting rails of the type that have an additional row of screw holes for mounting internal chassis supports. See AMCO, Crenlo, or BUD. The most common racks have "L" shaped rails and they do not meet this requirement. Tapped rails are much easier to use than those requiring cage nuts. Large amps or any other deep equip must be supported with chassis supports, especially for on-the-road use. Welded cabinet frames are much better than cheaper screwed together jobs. If you're lucky you should be able to find something used, but be sure to follow my guidelines. I could help further but only for money. See www.braderengineering.com Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Building an Equipment Rack - BRADER ENGINEERING 11:08:02 03/04/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.