Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

condensor mic without "hot" high end?

I've put together the beginnings of a small but decent quality mic collection. I tend to record bands "live to tape" as opposed to building songs track by track. I've already got the usual dynamics (pair of 57s, pair of 421s, D112) and a pair of small diaphragm condensors (Neumann KM184). My favorite mic is my Royer R121 ribbon that I have used on everything from loud electric guitars to lead vocals. Unfortunately, a ribbon mic is not always practical, usually because the pattern is not appropriate, but there are several other reasons that keep ribbons from being the right choice for every occasion. And that's too bad because I really prefer the sound of the ribbon mic to the typical modern condensor mic sound, partuicularly on lead vocals. Using the Neuaman TLM103 as an example, because it is moderately priced and has become hugely succesful - but I just don't like that much top end. And thats a real problem because almost every modern condensor mic proudly offers that boosted top end.
Even the mics from the small "boutique" brands like BLUE suffer from that same sound - the BLUE Blueberry was on my shortlist due to its good quality construction, the fact that it includes an output transformer and its moderate price - but it sounds like it was designed for engineers who have lost all hearing above 10K.
Can anyone suggest any modern large diaphragm condensors, suitable for lead vocal use, that do not offer a hyped top end?

thanks

steve
lex125@pacbell.net

digital? I'm still not sure about transistors....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - condensor mic without "hot" high end? - hollywood_steve 19:42:36 02/09/02 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.