Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Mixed Format system

I, unfortunatly, have to make a mixed format system work and have a couple of balanced to unbalanced conversion questions.

Here's some set-up:

A less than knowledgable consultant has designed a system using Denon HT receivers (of course unbalanced) and is DA'ing the pre outs of each channel to 2 other HT receivers, and directly to some Renkus-Heinz amps....

He has speced Aphex 102A DA's which are very good DA's but I'm not quite sure of the balanced to unbalanced config set up. I know that you can un-balance the DA's by simple tying the unused pin to ground at the DA and simply using the tip and shield for the unbalanced input.

But, the question is, how do you input an unbalanced signal into the DA and get a balanced output, I don't think that is possible. Unfortunatly, the consultant does, and there isn't any more money to be spent to do it right.

Could I simply forward refernence the unbalanced input into the DA's (tie the unused pin to shield/gnd)? And what would the consequences be on the output? No matter what I do that will not be a truely balanced input for the Renkus amps correct?

Some suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Mixed Format system - Blade 12:11:43 01/27/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.