Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Restructuring Advanced re-enforcement system (long)

Last night I was asked by our local high school technical director in charge of the high school auditorium to evelaluate their sound system. It was professionally installed when the aud. was built 4 years ago. It has Altec Lansing speakers, amps, EQ's, compressor's, and a mackie 24x4x2 main board. I believe they put in way to advanced of a system for the school since it's all supposed to be run by the students. I have all the schematics from the original install and the pro's set up the system so that all music went through two main cabinets that are left and right of the stage. They had a crossover hooked up to this path and the low level output goes to a line level mixer (which I'll get back to in a minute) and then output's to the sub amp. Next, they installed a center cluster in between the two music speakers which included a 3-way cabinet and then a horn fill. In the second catwalk they installed a second 3-way cabinet to reach the back half of the aud. and they put a digital delay unit on this. In the signal path for these two cabinets they have a 3-way crossover with the high and mid going to the 3-way cabinets and the low going to the line level mixer (as mentioned before) and then to the sub amp. Next they put in some smaller 3-way cabinets in the balcony which also have a digital delay unit. It looks as though these are wired for full range. They also have eleven 8" drivers built in to the from of the stage for front fill and these also have a digital delay unit.
Now, I see the point of this, they want all the vocals to go through the center clusters and the fills and only have the music go through the side cabinets and then use the two subs for all the low end but to do this you would have to either have 2 consoles or use two buses for your stereo music and the another bus for your vocals and then mix the two until they sound blended. This just seems like a little much. I'm thinking that I'll recommend they go to a single main 4-way system and then have one mix that goes out. That way all speakers have the same output. I know this is long but any suggestions would be helpful. If there are questions or something needs clarified please let me know. Thanks!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Restructuring Advanced re-enforcement system (long) - DR_WATSON 06:54:19 01/25/02 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.