Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Rooms and monitors

Hi Rich,

First, 22' x 25' dimensions sound much too close to a square to me. You run the (very high) risk of an almost impossible to control room boom.

Having length and width dimensions so close to each other means the natural resonant frequency of one dimension will be reinforced by the perpendicular dimension. In this case, certain frequencies are going to sound much louder than others. This will create a room that will not tell the sonic truth and will very easily cause listener fatigue. Even conversation will be harder to understand in a squarish room.

If you've got 25' with a 10' height, I'd keep the third dimension closer to something like 16'. This is a BIG one; be careful with a square-ish room. (If you procede, don't say I didn't warn you.)

As to monitors, most of the powered monitors I've heard trade sonic truth for the convenience they provide. If truthfullness to the input signal (as opposed to sheer loudness) is your goal, forget "pro" speakers and listen to something like a Magneplanar (www.magnepan.com).

Hope this helps.

Happy Listening!
Barry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Rooms and monitors - bdiament 05:09:53 01/24/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.