Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Assisting with church's system upgrade

Hi Stehno,
I have been running & maintaining a Church sound system in the UK for many years, & experienced many different venues & set ups.
some good advice from Haldor there.
If your church is a reverberant building, with lots of hard walls internally, then feedback could be a major problem & it will be very important to buy speakers with accurate projection & for their installation arangement to be well designed so that you're not bouncing sound off the back (or other) walls instead of aiming it at your audience.
The best speakers I have ever experienced for accuracy are made by a German co. called D&B, very predictable coverage without unwanted spill, also high quality, transparent sound (good if you can get them, but a set of these may blow your budget).
Transparent sound is a bit subjective, & depends on room acoustics, musical styles etc., but if you can get Sales/Hire companies to let you 'try out' equipment you might find something that really works for you.
Good, accurate speakers are available from EAW, ElectroVoice, NEXO, Turbosound, but each have their own character. The EV's have a very good vocal quality for a neutral sound, the Turbo's have a powerful bass, the NEXO's have a powerful, punchy sound for live music.....
Good amps are important. D&B make their own, QSC's PLX series are loved by all who try them, & crest & crown's high end amps are good for very high power applications. There are others I have had good experience of, but I don't know whats available across the water.

Finally, for good bass, Bi-amplification (or greater) is a must. The heart of a good amp/speaker system is a good controller, which splits the signals into the frequency ranges required by the speakers, & also limits the Maximum output to protect the speakers from damage.
All worthwhile speaker manufacturers can supply controllers which are correctly configured for their speakers.
I agree with Haldor on the stereo issue.
Any questions, send us an e-mail.
Regards,
Alwyn, Sound Engineer Jesus Fellowship Church, Northampton UK.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.