Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Best PA speaker cords with both 1/4 inch and Neutrik speakons?

I have a small venue PA system and have done shows for about 12 years or so; I've schlepped around several hundred pounds of cables from time to time and have had generally good results for the money over time with speakerrepair.com . My budget is between tight and non-existent. I have also found Peavey cabling to have decent longevity.

The weakest link in any standard quality cable will be the soldered connections, so it might be a good practice to inspect the connections on a regular basis and resolder them if you have any sense that something is getting beat up. Budget brands don't allow for this often as they tend to use molded plugs. I have found that the most reliable cables tend to be the ones I build or repair myself.

The trick for me is to maintain the cables in some decent manner; that usually means giving them a bath periodically and looking for failures.

The only other trick I use is to be religious about testing every cable with a pocket cable tester immediately prior to connecting it. Bad cables are embarrassing as hell and this is the only way I can be sure that I've done timely QC on every single piece of wire in the rig.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.