Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: small scale speaker management - future almost here but not quite?

Hey WR. Your plan sounds great, though it is perhaps more difficult to execute than it is to describe...

And that is my point. In striking a balance between flexibility and reliability, I'm tending toward a completely integrated solution. That way there are no "integration" issues, which seem to proliferate in the digital realm. Right now external sound cards sound better, but that circuit could easily be integrated into the Driverack, DCX2496, etc. Realistically, anything that can be cabled together could just as well be incorporated into a single device. This approach reduces duplicated power supplies, thus reducing overall cost and power consumption. It also reduces the likely hood of ground/hum problems, reduces cabling cost, and provides the opportunity for a lower noise floor. Finally, it improves reliability by eliminating cable connections and reducing the number of failure points.

OTOH, if one function/feature fails your whole rig could go down, and you might have to send it to the manufacturer to get it fixed.

I don't have enough real experience to know what the right combination of equipment is, but it seems like the DCX processor should do the sound card function too.

Gary

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: small scale speaker management - future almost here but not quite? - BofService 19:34:03 12/27/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.