Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Recs. For 12AX7 Low Noise Good Sounding Tubes

Hi, AudioSoul:

I sometimes use original Telefunken "smooth-plate" 12AX7As in my tube - based mic preamps. The other fairly nice sounding and less noisy tubes might be Mullards, but vintage, new old stock, unless you happen to run across some pulls from say, old Fisher tubed receivers and the like.

The best way to "test" them is not only to run them on a good dynamic tube tester but actually putting them in the circuit in question and listening to them, believe it or not.

Tap on them to see how prone they are to microphonics and find yourself a couple which are quiet and sound decent.

The other thing is to see what tube preamp you are using in the first place. Some of the more modern designs do not operate such tubes at full rated plate voltages. Others do. It can make a difference in sonics in my opinion.

My favorite tube mic preamps are a restored Ampex MX-10 with all new caps and other parts and the one dual channel mic pre I use when recording live classical material. That is my Aphex 1100, but it does not use 12AX7As though they can be deployed. It uses Russian military 6-volt tubes and is notonly nearly dead quiet, but sounds terrific.

Good luck!
Richard Links
Links Sound
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Recs. For 12AX7 Low Noise Good Sounding Tubes - Marantzguy 15:19:29 08/15/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.