Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: To my ears and IMHO.....

You're just old or your motorcycle has damaged your hearing. ;)

Seriously, I don't disagree with most of what you wrote. Except maybe the part about page turning and shoe shuffling. The placement distances I usually end up with (in location recording) don't present more or less of a problem in that regard, based on pickup pattern. When you get into really live rooms, like the gymnasiums or very live churches, then, yes, you really have to use cardioids. And don't even get me started on noisy HVAC vents!! Our buddy MarantzGuy surely has a thought or two about the topic.

But what I was addressing was the topic at hand: recording the sound of the speakers and room in a home living room.

And you (or someone) noted our hearing ability to discriminate and effectively ignor a certain amount of ambient sound, and that affects our perception of the sound quality. That's certainly true. I might add the comment that when we record and subsequently play back, all of that directional information and the associated discrimination ability is lost, because ALL of the recorded sound is now coming from the speaker (the source!), rather than from all around. This is a huge contributing factor to why Adriel was so disappointed with the recording results. Not knowing the "liveness" character or size of his room, I suppose it's possible that he should try a good cardioid. My main point is simply that an omni will give you a better quality of reverberant sound. But it could well be that the quantity will be too much.

In any case, something like what Tomservo described for an outdoor approach would be best if one wants to eliminate the room, but it doesn't appear that Adriel wants to eliminate the room, he wants to record what he hears at his listening position IN his room. Maybe his question is the wrong question. ;) Either way, this experiment into recording and psychoacoustics certainly will provide him with an opportunity to learn something about both! :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: To my ears and IMHO..... - Inmate51 20:40:44 02/24/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.