Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Carvin Bass Amp

If you or someone you know is a tech at all, have them check to see if there is a thermal breaker or the like attached to the heatsink inside. If so, try reapplying heatsink compound to it and reattach it (or just try tightening it a bit.

I had a pair of Gallien Kruger 400RBs, and one would always just die in the middle of shows (usually about a 1/2 hour in). I had to turn it off, let it sit for two or three songs, then turn it back on. This was the routine for three sets a night over a few weeks worth of gigs! Not a great thing (I did use both amps at the same time, driving different speakers and running different effects).

I finally got fed up one night at a gig and vowed that if I couldn't get it working, I'd trash it and return to a single amp.

long story short- I opened the amp up (at the club!), tightened parts everywhere on the heatsink (including the thermistor) and put it back together. It never had an issue after that!

Kinda wish I still had those GKs! But then again, I also wish that I still had my old Ampeg SVT... And my Peavey/AudioPro rack... And all my effects racks, well maybe not ALL of them...

Good luck!

Dman
Analog Junkie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Carvin Bass Amp - Dman 18:13:57 05/19/10 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.