Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Problems getting a good 3-way x-over for home

I hope someone can answer this easy question.

What would be a good 3-way electronic crossover for a really big home theater system?

I have purchased many different devices over the years of which none seem to perform well and I am looking for something that gives the best sound for the dollar. The units I have used with my system at one time or another are:

#1 An early JBL 5234, 2 way unit with fixed x-over frequencies which didn’t match well with the Hiels air motion transformers I’m using for the mids & highs.

#2 A Nady 3 way unit (I think it was a CX2314) that was distorting and crackling whenever a signal got moderately high (however the peak was still far below the rated maximum output level approximately -10db).

#3 2x DBX 234 units that are supposed to have TRS balanced in & outs. However they only produce an output signal on the cold (inverting) output line of each output (no signal of any sort on any of the outputs on the hot + side on any of the outputs).

I was thinking of buying two DBX 234XL units hoping that they would function better than the regular DBX 234 TRS units I already own, or perhaps a Behringer CX-3400, but I have a sneaky feeling that the Behringer might not have as good sonic quality as the DBX units.

So my easy question is what would be a good 3-way electronic X-crossover for a home theater system?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Problems getting a good 3-way x-over for home - Max Caliber 09:39:46 10/23/09 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.