Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Help jackson cab maybe I could do DIY?

Its a bit outside my experience but i would have thought the suitability of the 4x12 would depend on your style of playing.
If your in a reggae/dub band you'll never be happy with it, if your in a metal band, play with a lot of distortion and do not play a five string it could be quite good.

Anywhere in between I would eventually add a 15" or 18" in its own cab rather then experiment with porting. Even with porting they will roll off at 72Hz (according to your link) and your bass still has another octave below that. It should be enough to just put a capacitor before the Jackson to roll off some of the low end fed to them and run a 15" full range.
you can always experiment with the capacitor value to get the overall voicing right.

No idea about the spider thing but bear in mind that bass usually uses a lot more watts then guitar does. A friend of mine uses a 400w SWR and no matter what he plays through it is never anywhere near as loud as the guitarist Vox AC30.
You will probably fry the drivers if you try to keep up with a guitar amp on 11.

I'd see it as a useable stop gap solution which could be the basis for a really good bass rig.
Especially if you can get hold of a nice big, old Ampeg valve head!
(I do love the sound of a P-bass through a well-driven Ampeg!!!)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.