Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

AES Show

Note: I am double posting this because I now realize it should have been posted here instead of in the vinyl asylum.

I believe it was back in 1982, and my friend and I were through with our Recording Engineering courses taken at the local Community College in Huntington Beach, Calif.

My friend and I had gone on our annual summer trek to the AES show, and one of our first stops were at the Sony booth, to see the brand new Compact Disc where they were, (of course) promoting it. Many of Sony's engineers were there to answer questions, so me, being the smartass I am, innocently picked up a product brochure, carefully read it, and asked the first engineer I could corral, "I see that the specifications are amazing". He, of course nodded, and then went into a animated spiel about how wonderful the Compact Disc is.

I then asked THE question: "What standard(s) are the specifications based on"?

I had noticed that the spec sheet had no reference to any standards whatsoever, such as IHF.

The engineer looked at me, visibly blanched, muttered something under his breath, (probably something like "oh shit" in Japanese) and then turned to the other engineers. In seconds, all the engineers were furiously jabbering in Japanese, and a look of panic had decended amoung them.

After approx 10 minutes of watching the engineers talk furiously amoung themselves, I went back to the aforementioned engineer, and repeated the question, insisting on an answer. He looked at me like a man who had just lost his floatation device after the Titanic sunk, and turned back to his friends, which started another round of heated discussion in Japanese, (probably to their relief, since I could not understand them). By this time, my friend and I were starting to laugh, and we left.

As we left, I could see all of the Sony Engineers huddled together, fighting amoung themselves. By this time, there were heated words being exchanged, and I suspect someone fell on their sword later, in the grand tradition of Samurai.

Did anyone here happen to be there also?

Gene

I don't really have a signature line

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - AES Show - tesla 09:34:38 03/19/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.