Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Ok! I need to hear from the informed!

I can recommend MC2 Audio power amps.
The best amps I've heard regardless of price. They have been designed by some famous HiFi guy whose name I can never remember and Terry Clark who founded Klark Teknik (one of the most highly regarded pro audio manufacturers). According to their website blurb the design focus was to build the best sounding amp possible and then making reliable enough for life on the road.
These are the only amps I know which I switch on and then completely forget that they exist.
(This btw is the best thing I can say about any piece of audio gear.)
If they appear cheap or not depends on how you look at them. The three I got would cost £2000, £1700 and £1000 respectively but then their sound quality rivals some of the best HiFi can offer like Chord or Boulder. Compared to them they are dirt cheap…
Personally I have had the opportunity to compare them directly to amps by Arcam, QUAD, Phase Linear, Bryston, QSC and Harrison. MC2s proofed to be easily more transparent then any of these. I know of at least two people who sold their Chords after trying MC2.

Some HiFi manufacturers have started off by making pro gear: Perraux for instance and Bryston.

Not sure how much use a pro pre amp would be as they tend to be mic pres, many of which are single channel.
Also the term 'pure class a' for pres is kinda misleading as everything except power amps tends to be pure class a designs anyway. Its just marketing.
Btw was the $4000 pre GML unit? Those are as transparent as is technically possible today.
Made in the same factory as Manley gear although completely tube-free and designed by George Massenburg.

As a pre amp at home I use a little Audio Developments mixer and I see absolutely no reason to change that. May be when I win the lottery and George M. decides to make a small mixer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ok! I need to hear from the informed! - b.l.zeebub 10:17:48 03/11/09 (1)
    • PS - b.l.zeebub 12:24:11 03/11/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.