Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

about Absolute Polarity

I do believe many people can hear polarity issues, but many do not recognize the sound of polarity issues. They often attribute what they hear to other factors: speakers, amps, whatever. I had been attending CES since 1982 and only stopped a couple of years ago. In the last few years I would ask, usually when the rooms were empty, if I could switch polarity on the demo speakers in many rooms. Most exhibitors were rather stunned to hear the difference.

I remember one manufacturer who looked at me politely but acquiesced to my request since he had a Wadia player with the polarity inversion switch. He first requested that he stand behind my chair in order to hear what I was hearing. In flipping the switch he was stunned. He told me ( I was already a dealer for his other products) that while he understood the theoretical ramifications of polarity inversion, he has never really bothered to attempt to identify the hearing with the theory.

I did that to a Chinese made speaker exhibition too. It was called the Morkai, IIRC, and as I entered the room I could hear the exhibitors anxiously whispering that something was wrong and the sound was not what it should be; A complex design it had a tri wired crossover, IIRC. I told the exhibitor I believed his woofer was out of phase and we swapped wires on the woofer module and he was instantly gratified. I was rather surprised he mentioned me in his CES report.

The fact is many people can recognize sound when something is wrong. They may not be able to finger the culprit immediately and most have learned to ignore the effects of polarity. When so many designs consist of drivers in mixed polarity the issue becomes even more confused. I believe every audiophile should live with a speaker like the old Spicas or a full range electrostatic or a pair of Vandersteens for at least a year so their ear can recognize polarity issues.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • about Absolute Polarity - unclestu52 11:12:41 12/19/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.