Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: All crossovers

Again, I do admit my experience is limited with active rossovers. One with which I have extensive experience with has been the Marchand which is remote controlled and adjustable which makes for inteesting comparisons of speaker topologies. It also has a choice of different order crossover networks, IIRC.

Still, if a speaker is properly time aligned and phase aligned from inception I find that the added complexity of the system takes away from the overall presentation. Curiously I get tighter and more coherent sound in my experience from top through bottom in the avoidance of an active system. I'm not saying that it can't be done, however, just that it makes things more difficult.

As I said YMMV.

I have also listened to several active loud speakers and have found that the vast majority of those I have listened to have serious issues with time and phase. To be quite honest I do not recall any that were as well aligned as some passive speakers I have heard. Of course part of the issue is the amplification modules which are used with many speakers. Many are not up to high end, high resolution standards, a problem I find with many subwoofers these days. Again, YMMV.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.