Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

All crossovers

with even ordered slopes invert polarity, You can correct this by simply inverting the leads to the drivers which simply follow the signal and is passive in that regards.

The issue is that many designers invert polarity in order that the adjacent driver(s) produce a steeper crossover slope due to the cancellation effects. This can give a more even amplitude response but totally screws up the timing information, which ultimately gives a better cues for soundstaging, individual tonality and such. Properly selecting crossover points to minimize the overlap can work equally well, in my expereince.

IMHO there is no real advantage for an active crossover except in the case where you really need more power. After all, the crossover circuit in the active unit still follows the designs of a passive one, except in a digital crossover design. Being an analog guy, I find that adding such a design to my system destroys certain aspects of the sound I am achieving and seeking.

Of course, YMMV.

Stu

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.